Teacher In-Service Programs
Using the same energy and ingenuity we put into our
performances, Poetry Alive!s In-Service programs for language arts educators are
designed to accomplish two main goals. First of all, we provide hands-on, ready-to-use
classroom activities--no special stage, lighting, costumes, or theatrical experience
needed. Secondly, we introduce teachers to a methodology which will energize your
schools entire language arts curriculum. Poetry Alive! is more than a show or a
collection of classroom exercises; Poetry Alive! is a fresh and educationally proven way
to think about poetry.
General In-Service Highlights
Each In-Service day will vary according to grade level and
other special needs. As a rule, the in-service will begin with a Poetry Alive! show. Note:
in order to fully understand the Poetry Alive! method teachers must experience a
performance themselves. This is a "hands-on" workshop.
- Poetry Alive! Presentation
- What is Poem Performance?
- The Four Magical Performance Tips
- Transforming a Poem into a Script
- Staging Your Own Poem Performance Extravaganza
- Using Poetry Performance in the Classroom
- Poetry As a Daily Experience
- Using Poetry Across the Curriculum
- Using Performance to Discover Meaning
- Poetry Performance and Writing
- From the Page to the Stage: Experience vs. Explication
- The Poem Performance Approach: Educational Theory
Poetry Alive! In-services for Educators
- $1,000.00 per day for full day in-service, or $600.00 for half-day
- Travel from Asheville, NC
- Lodging for either one or two nights, depending on schedule
- An additional $200.00 plus travel and lodging may be added if a 2-person performance is
All In-Services are conducted by one of
Poetry Alive!s senior staff members.
BA, MA from the University of Memphis. Rodney has been
with Poetry Alive! since 1990. He has performed, conducted workshops, and represented
Poetry Alive! at educational conventions throughout the U.S. and abroad. Rodney also edits
Poetry Alive! publications. Prior to coming to Poetry Alive!, he taught extensively in
both adult Continuing Education and at the college level.
Bob is founder of Poetry Alive! and originator of the
in-service program. He holds both a BS and an MA in History from Virginia Tech at
Blacksburg. He has performed and conducted workshops since 1984, and has taught at both
the high school and college levels.
BA in Acting, Playwriting, and Musical Theatre from Western Washington University. Wendi is an educator, poet, actor, and musician, who has presented performances and workshops across the country. She taught performance and writing workshops in Seattle before joining Poetry Alive! in 1997.
Complete résumés and
references are available upon request.
Callback Request Form
Due to scheduling complexities, we can only arrange for In-Service
programs over the phone. Fill out this form requesting a callback (including when is best
to reach you) or call us at 800-476-8172.